Adapted from the Minimalist Baker, we love this Smoothie Bowl recipe. It's the perfect summer-time snack, or complete breakfast, as it's loaded with vitamins and nutrients, but still super delicious! The recipe is quick and easy, plus the toppings are totally customizable for your tastes. Enjoy!
- 1/4 ripe avocado
- 2 medium ripe bananas, previously sliced and frozen
- 1 cup fresh or frozen mixed berries (organic when possible) - use strawberries/raspberries for a greener smoothie, darker berries for a purple smoothie
- 2 large handfuls spinach (organic when possible)
- 1 small handful kale (organic when possible), large stems removed
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk (will depend on if your berries are frozen)
- 1 Tbsp flax seed meal
- Optional: 2 Tbsp salted creamy almond or peanut butter
- Roasted unsalted sunflower seeds
- Raw or roasted nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts, etc.)
- Shredded unsweetened coconut
- Fresh berries
- Hemp seeds
- Add all smoothie ingredients to a blender and blend until creamy and smooth. Add more almond milk (or water) to thin.
- Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more ripe banana (or maple syrup) for added sweetness, more spinach for a bright green hue, or almond milk for creaminess.
- For the green smoothie I used strawberries, which let the green color come through more. For the purple bowl I used darker berries (raspberries, blackberries, blueberries).
- For more protein, add nut butter! This also offsets / enhances the natural sweetness of the smoothie.
- Divide between 2 serving bowls and top with desired toppings!
- Best when fresh, though leftovers can be kept in jars in the fridge for up to 1-2 days.