Our Peaches 'n Cream special this month sure made us hungry! Since peaches aren't in season for a few more months, we thought we'd share this delicious recipe for vegan, gluten-free strawberry shortcakes.
> 8 shortcakes (recipe below) > 1 pint of strawberries, sliced (plus smaller whole ones for the top if desired) > 2 cans coconut milk, left in the refrigerator overnight > Sweetener (if desired) – I added 1 tsp. agave nectar
- Carefully open cans of coconut milk and skim off the white coconut cream. Set the coconut milk aside to use in the biscuits and for whatever else.
- In a mixer equipped with a whisk, whip the coconut cream and sweetener until it holds peaks and is fluffy. Place in fridge until ready to use.
- After the shortcakes are cooled, cut in half.
- On the bottom half, spread a dollop of coconut cream on the lower half. Pile on some strawberries and another dollop on coconut cream. Place the top half on the cream to create a sandwich. Add another dollop of cream and a whole strawberry to garnish if desired.
- To make them easier to eat, make two open-faced shortcakes piled with coconut cream and strawberries.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Short Cake Recipe:
> 1 c. Brown Rice Flour > 1/2 c. Tapioca Starch > 1/4 c. Potato Starch > 1 tsp. xathan gum > 1 tbsp + 1/4 tsp. baking powder > 1/2 tsp. salt > 4 – 5 tbsp. coconut oil > 3/4 c. + 2 tbsp. coconut milk with coconut cream removed > 1 tsp. agave nectar > 1/2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Whisk together dry ingredients. Make sure that you spoon the flours into the measuring cups or else it might be too dense. If you don’t feel like doing that, just add more coconut milk when you add the wet ingredients.
- Using fingers, work coconut oil through the dry ingredients until there are no chunks of coconut oil left.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry and stir until mixed using a fork.
- Roll (or pat) out the dough on a floured board until about 1″ thick.
- Cut out into ~3″ circles – I just used a glass. It should make 8 shortcakes.
- Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet for about 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a cooling rack.