We were at Native Foods - the super yummy vegan restaurant, that now has 3 locations in San Diego! - and saw a recipe posted for a Chocolate Mint Whoopie Pie. We can't wait to try these tasty desserts and of course wanted to share the recipe with you too. It yields 16 total pies. Enjoy!
1 ¾ cup AP Flour
¾ cup Cocoa Powder
½ tsp Baking Soda
½ tsp Salt
4 TBSP Vegan Butter (Soft)
¼ cup Vegan Shortening (Soft)
1 cup Brown Sugar
2 TBSP Egg Replacer (no water)
1 cup Soy milk
½ tsp Vanilla Extract
1. Sift all dry ingredients together. Then transfer over to the mixer.
2. On medium speed, add the butter and mix for 30 seconds.
3. Then add the shortening and mix for 30 seconds.
4. Add all liquid ingredients and mix until well incorporated.
5. Using a spoon or ice cream scoop (big or small), scoop or drop cookie portions onto an oiled sheet pan.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 13 to 15 minutes. Allow them to cool completely before frosting!!
1 cup Vegan shortening
1 cup Vegan Butter
4 cups Powdered Sugar
½ oz Fresh Mint
2 oz Water
7. Blend the mint with the water until smooth.
8. In a mixer, on medium speed, mixer the shortening and butter together until smooth, about 2 minutes.
9. Turn the speed down to low, and slowly add the sugar ½ cup at a time. Once the powdered sugar in mixed, add another. Once all sugar in added, add the mint puree. (If you want it greener, you can use food coloring, but PLEASE read the label and make sure it’s safe!!)
10. Frost in between cookies, on top or both, and add a fresh mint leaf to the top.